Xeriscape: Attractive, Responsible, Low Maintenance Yards
Xeriscape by definition is “an attractive, sustainable landscape that conserves water and is based on sound horticultural practices.”
There are seven basic principles of Xeriscape:
1) Create a comprehensive plan and design.
2) Evaluate soil, is it sandy, clay, etc.
3) Create turf areas where practical.
4) Use native plants when possible and group according to water needs.
5) Set up a drip water system to deliver water wisely.
6) Use organic mulch.
7) Regularly maintain the area. Low maintenance is not no maintenance.
Planning a Xeriscape garden can drastically cut down on your nonessential water use. It can can also decrease maintenance by as much as 50 percent by using good irrigation systems and eliminating or decreasing mowing.
Xeriscape is both a responsible landscape as well as an attractive one, if it is planned and designed appropriately.